Training with TRX
When I'm not working with my personal trainer, I usually fall back into a rut and doing the same old exercises that I always do. Today I mixed it up! I remembered to add in some exercises that my trainer usually gives me when we're working out together. Today, I tackled the TRX all by myself!
TRX is a suspension training system that uses straps and handles and your body weight as resistance. It may seem intimidating but it's really pretty easy and there are tons of things to workout different parts of your body.
Many people find TRX better than other exercises because they are compound exercise - exercises that uses multiple muscles and joints for one movement. So for my TRX biceps curls today, I was also using my abs, back, hips and shoulders to stabilize my body. Try doing that on a bench!
TRX HIGH ROW
- Grab a TRX handle in each hand with an over hand grip (palms facing down).
- Place your feet close to the TRX and slowly lean back until your weight is supported by the straps.
Keep this tension on the straps and your core muscles engaged throughout the exercise.Your body should stay straight/rigid, no "V's" or butts pointing towards the floor. To increase the resistance, move your feet forward.
- Pull your shoulder blades together and keep them engaged throughout the exercise. Slowly pull your elbows back until there's about a 90 degree bend at your elbow. Keeping core and shoulder blades engaged, slowly lower yourself back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired amount of reps/sets.
TRX BICEPS CURL
- Grab a TRX handle in each hand with an under hand grip (palms facing up).
- Place your feet close to the TRX and slowly lean back until your weight is supported by the straps. Keep this tension on the straps and your core muscles engaged throughout the exercise. Remember, NO "V's!" To increase the resistance, move your feet forward.
- Starting with your arms extended and your elbows pointing forward, slowly curl your arms up. Your hand should be next to your head. Slowly lower yourself back to the starting position. Repeat for the desired number of reps/sets.
As I mentioned earlier, many exercises that you're already doing can be done using TRX. TRX will add a different type of challenge for your muscles and you'll recruit the help of all those other muscles to stabilize your body.