While aging is inevitable, aging gracefully is an art. Regular exercise and a healthy diet NOW will help you look better, feel better and avoid or delay common ailments as you age. Here are five great tips to help you age more gracefully!
Staying active and exercising regularly will keep your heart healthy and help you manage weight.
- Cardio is great for calorie burning and keeping your cardiovascular system pumping strongly.
- And don’t forget the weights! Resistance training helps keep your metabolism revving and can help prevent osteoporosis.
As you age, your metabolism slows and your appetite decreases. Since you’re eating fewer calories, you have to make every calorie count! Here are the basics:
- Eat a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies.
- Limit red meat and opt for leaner chicken and heart-healthy fish.
- Choose complex carbs (whole wheat breads, brown rice, legumes, etc.) that are digested more slowly and have more fiber and vitamins.
- Bulk up on antioxidant-containing foods such as tomatoes, all types of berries, dark green leafy veggies, etc.
Along with a healthy diet, managing weight is the simplest thing you can do to stay healthy. Being overweight increases your risks for most health conditions and can make it harder to get around, especially as you get older.
DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY
Mood and happiness affect your immune system and stress levels. Avoid things that cause stress and fill your life with things that make you happy. Spend time with family and friends, attend events and gatherings and keep a positive attitude on life.
EXERCISE YOUR BRAIN
That’s right, your brain needs regular exercise to stay sharp and prevent Alzheimer’s and dementia. Try learning a new language, taking classes, reading and playing games that make you think (Sudoku, crosswords, etc.)
Help the parents or grandparents in your life age more gracefully with a free pass to 24 Hour Fitness! Get started here: http://24hf.us/share.