24 Hour Fitness First to Offer Nike + iPod Experience in the Gym
Nike + iPod Enabled Gym Equipment Offers Another Great Way for 24 Hour Fitness Members to Participate in the Nike+ Human Race
SAN RAMON, Calif. - June 26, 2008
24 Hour Fitness, the largest fitness club chain in the U.S., is the first to offer new Nike + iPod enabled gym equipment in select clubs across the country. Nike and Apple worked with major gym equipment manufacturers to make their cardio equipment Nike + iPod compatible so gym members can easily track and record workouts on cardio equipment like treadmills, stair steppers, elliptical trainers and stationary bikes. Beginning in July, select 24 Hour Fitness clubs in New York, San Francisco, Miami, Denver, Portland and Salt Lake City will begin receiving Nike + iPod enabled gym equipment, just in time for members to use the new machines to prepare for and compete in the Nike+ Human Race on August 31, 2008.
Extending the great Nike + iPod Sport Kit experience users are already familiar with, 24 Hour Fitness members can track their cardio workouts and log their data by connecting their iPod nano to the Nike + iPod enabled cardio equipment. When 24 Hour Fitness members then connect their iPod nano to their computer, their workout data is sent to nikeplus.com through iTunes (www.itunes.com). This workout data is converted to “CardioMiles” so that users of cardio equipment can easily set goals and participate in challenges with runners and with users of other cardio equipment.
“24 Hour Fitness is proud to be the first in the industry to offer members this innovative technology which will enhance the workout experience both inside and outside of the club,” said Carl Liebert, chief executive officer for 24 Hour Fitness.“ The new Nike + iPod compatible equipment is a great way to monitor workouts and achieve your fitness goals, whether you are a triathelete or a stay-at-home parent trying to get in a workout twice a week!”
The Nike+ Human Race
The Nike+ Human Race is the world’s biggest one day running event, offering runners across the globe the chance to compete together on August 31, 2008. The Nike+ Human Race is a 10K race unlike any other. In addition to the opportunity to race in one of 25 cities on four continents, runners can also choose to run wherever they are with the Nike + iPod Sport Kit, the Nike+ SportBand and now with the Nike + iPod compatible gym equipment at 24 Hour Fitness.
To help support the Nike+ Human Race, 24 Hour Fitness will also offer a variety of services and amenities to inspire members and get them ready for the race:
- 10K Personal Training Ten Pack – A new personal training offer that includes ten sessions to help members get in shape for the race. The package provides a Nike+ Sport Band to help participants track their training, one-on-one instruction with strengthening and endurance exercises, race day tips, nutrition basics and more. Prices vary by market; log on to www.24HourFitness.com for details.
- Run24 Group X classes – A new group exercise class designed to offer members a chance to hone their running skills, get fit and meet other running enthusiasts. Run24 is a 60-minute class with a 10-minute check-in, warm-up and stretch and a 45-minute outdoor run led by two instructors. For details and locations log on to www.24HourFitness.com.
- Race-day festivities – The 12 participating clubs with Nike + iPod compatible gym equipment will provide refreshments, giveaways, a race atmosphere and more on August 31.
“More runners than ever are coming to 24 Hour Fitness for training resources and we are extremely pleased to offer these new tools and programs to help members further develop their skills,” said Derek Gallup, vice president of fitness operations for 24 Hour Fitness. “The Nike+ Human Race on August 31, 2008 will be an exciting day in our clubs and we look forward to helping runners across the U.S. prepare for the big event.”
The 24 Hour Fitness clubs offering members a chance to race virtually in the Nike+ Human Race include:
- 24 Hour Fitness - Derek Jeter, New York, N.Y.
- San Ramon Super Sport, San Ramon, Calif.
- Town & Country Sport, Miami, Fla.
- Greenacres Shaq Active, Greenacres, Fla.
- Boynton Beach Shaq Super Sport, Boynton Beach, Fla.
- Belleview Avenue Sport, Littleton, Colo.
- Fort Collins Sport, Fort Collins, Colo.
- Hollywood Sport, Portland, Ore.
- Clackamas Sport, Clackamas, Ore.
- Beaverton Sport, Beaverton, Ore.
- Tualatin Lance Super Sport, Tigard, Ore.
- West Jordan Sport, West Jordan, Utah
About the Nike+ Human Race
On 08.31.08, Nike hosts a run like no other before with the Nike+ Human Race -- the World’s Largest One Day Running Event. Nike’s first global race will take place over the course of one day, with a goal of one million runners, across 25 cities and featuring 25 top musical acts. The 10K event celebrates runners and their sport, offering participants across the globe the chance to run and compete together in an unprecedented race experience. Spanning multiple continents, Nike+ Human Race cities will include LA, New York, London, Madrid, Paris, Istanbul, Melbourne, Shanghai, São Paulo and Vancouver among others. Following races in each city, participants will be treated to an exclusive music concert featuring one of today’s top artists. Participants will be able to run for a cause as a portion of funds raised will be donated to three Nike+ Human Race beneficiaries: WWF, Lance Armstrong foundation and ninemillion.org. The race will be open to anyone, anywhere. Runners outside of the 25 race day cities can join by logging into nikeplus.com. With the help of Nike+, every city and every road can become a race-day course. For more information, visit nikeplus.com.
About 24 Hour Fitness
Headquartered in San Ramon, Calif., 24 Hour Fitness Worldwide, an innovative leader in the health and fitness industry, serves more than 3 million members in over 425 clubs worldwide. Founded in 1983 as a one-club operation, 24 Hour Fitness pioneered the concept of making fitness accessible, affordable and a way of life for everyone. 24 Hour Fitness has partnered with superstar athletes and celebrities like Magic Johnson, Andre Agassi, Lance Armstrong, Shaquille O’Neal, Jackie Chan, Yao Ming and Derek Jeter to open co-branded clubs around the world. The company demonstrates its leadership through sponsorships like that of the U.S. Olympic Team and a commitment to the community through various charitable and in-kind donations. In addition, 24 Hour Fitness enjoys strategic partnerships with major consumer brands like Coca-Cola and Nike, and for five seasons has partnered with NBC’s popular reality TV show, The Biggest Loser. For more information and to find the location nearest you, visit our contact us page.